Both teams start the game with three wins from five games in IPL 2019 but Sunrisers Hyderabad are third in the points table, courtesy superior net run rate and on the other hand, KXIP are sixth in the IPL 2019 standings.
Both teams lost their previous fixtures and would want to get back to winning ways. Sunrisers Hyderabad lost to Mumbai Indians by 40 runs on Saturday while Kings XI Punjab lost to Chennai Super Kings by 22 runs. A win could propel SRH to the top of the table.
If KXIP bat first
KXIP possesses an explosive top order. With the likes of Chris Gayle, KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, and David Miller, KXIP can set a huge score if their openers get going. On the other hand, they might struggle to post a big score if Gayle falls early.
SRH are arguably the best bowling unit in IPL this season and rarely allow the opponents to post a big score. Expect a score of around 150 to 170 from KXIP.
If SRH bat first
David Warner and Jonny Bairstow are in blistering form for SRH but has failed to click in unison in the last couple of games. If these two gets going, a score of around 180 to 200 is on the cards.
However, a couple of early wickets could see them struggle as their middle order looks fragile and not in great form. Expect a score of around 160 to 170 from SRH.
Who will win?
SRH are a well-balanced unit and Nabi’s presence has given them the batting depth. He is expected to open the bowling against Gayle and the battle could very well define the contest. Though they are playing at home, Ravi Ashwin & Co. does not have enough firepower to overcome Sunrisers Hyderabad. Expect SRH to prevail.
SRH big favourites in Mohali
The Indian Premier League (IPL) now heads to Mohali where Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) face Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) at the PCA Stadium. KXIP have been on a high after recording three victories in five matches in IPL 12. But KXIP would be disappointed to lose their last match to Chennai Super Kings (CSK) as they failed to chase down a target of 160 runs and would be hoping to rebound from the loss.
Much like KXIP, SRH also lost their last encounter to Mumbai Indians at their home stadium. Chasing a modest target of 136 runs, SRH batsmen completely self-destructed themselves as they were bowled out for just 96 runs. Alzarri Joseph had bowled a magical spell of 6/12 to blow away SRH. They would look for a better performance from their batsmen against KXIP and would hope that David Warner and Jonny Bairstow get them off to a good start once again in Mohali.
KL Rahul and Sarfaraz Khan were the only batsmen who got going in KXIP’s last match against CSK. All the other batters failed to even reach the double figures as they lost the match by 22 runs. So before the two teams enter the field in Mohali, let’s look at all the statistics between KXIP and SRH:-
1. Both the teams have played each other 12 times in the Indian Premier League. SRH have been the dominant side in this fixture as they have beaten KXIP 9 times. On the other hand, KXIP have recorded just 3 victories.
2. At the PCA Stadium in Mohali, SRH have a healthy lead in head-to-head meetings. The home side have been defeated 4 times by SRH. KXIP have just a single win at their home stadium against SRH which came last season.
3. David Warner has scored the maximum number of runs in fixtures involving SRH and KXIP. He has 423 runs against the Punjab outfit. For KXIP, David Miller is the top run-getter against SRH with 174 runs under his belt.
4. The honour of taking the most number of wickets against KXIP for SRH goes to Bhuvneshwar Kumar. He has 18 wickets in this IPL fixture while Ankit Rajpoot has scalped 5 SRH batsmen for KXIP.
5. The KXIP have won their last six IPL matches at the PCA Stadium in Mohali and it is also the longest winning streak at this particular venue.